Monday, April 17, 2017

Happy Easteroony

Hey up my lovely fellow Americans! 

This week was transfer calls and... I'm staying in Bridlington with Elder Mills. But there's something different, they're adding 2 Elders back into the area. It's going to be to a 4 man flat again. This week we helped a member build a shed, I went on an exchange with an Elder from Tahiti, we had some Easter fun and a Super Hero is about to be baptized.
     
So yes, I'm staying here another 6 weeks. The new Elders are Black and Lewis. Elder Black is from Spanish Fork and Elder Lewis is from Draper (I've talked to him a couple of times and he's a good lad). Adding 2 Elders back in the area again will probably be good in the long run, with the transition of the branch becoming a ward in the next couple of months.
     
On Friday we met with Brother Needham, from the branch, who is a super cool coast guard/fire fighter who it a young RM that served in Scotland. We helped him build the foundation of his shed in his back garden. It was fun! We mixed the cement in an electric mixer and wheelbarrowed it over. It reminded me of when I was doing humanitarian work over in Fiji 3 years ago building an outhouse.
    
This week, I went on another exchange over in Scarborough. This time I spent the day with Elder Barf from Tahiti. It was nice going around the beautiful beach of Scarborough and learning random French words from Elder Barf. We tried visiting a less active member with the last name Hollyoak (one extra L than mine). He sadly wasn't in, but I'm hoping that one day on my mission, I'll make a random ancestor connection.
     
Easter was yesterday, of course. We've been passing out Easter pass along cards and sharing the church's Easter video with people when we've gotten the chance. Easter doesn't seem to be a very popular holiday over here. There are, of course, Cadbury Egg advertisements galore. Elder Mills and I were treated with the visitation of the Easter bunny. (Watch the video below.) We had a nice Easter service on Sunday, as well. It was cool seeing the other churches around town being so active on a Sunday too. Someone explained to me what the "C of E" stands for in the Church of England. They jokingly told me that it stands for "Christmas and Easter" the 2 days in the year that people go to church. Hahahah!
     
A Super Hero is getting baptized next Sunday! Josiah, the 10 year old boy that we've been teaching for a while, is for sure getting baptized this Sunday the 23rd. We helped him with some last minute things for the baptism a couple of days ago, including fitting him into his baptismal clothes. I asked him, "Could you try on your Super Hero suit for me?" And he came back into the room kicking in the air jumping around like a Super Hero, and yes it fit him!
     
I'm really glad that I'm staying in Brid for at least another 6 weeks. There is definitely a lot to be done here and many funny Branch members to talk to. Hope y'all have a dandy week. Ta!

-Elder Holyoak
"The grave hath no victory, and the sting of death is swallowed up in Christ." Mosiah 16:8

Hoppy Easter!

The Easter Bunny found us.



                                             



Conversation opened. 1 read message.

No comments:

Post a Comment