Monday, September 19, 2016

Eye of the Tiger



     On this weeks agenda there were flying cars (Actual flying cars - I might have seen Harry and Ron up there!), the kids and the University students are back in school, and singing on the bus is a good finding approach.

     The weather this week has been really hot and as a result people on the street have been friendlier to us. It only rained once this week! I actually don't mind the rain to be honest. Elder Barney keeps telling me, "Just wait for the horizontal rain in the winter!" This Texan teases me all throughout the day and I'm getting the hang of English sarcasm gradually and I'm working on my cheeky side too. It's also been a really fun and successful week. We were over for dinner almost everyday this week which was really nice. For other meals, there's a fish and chip shop pretty close to our flat and there's a bap shop too. Baps are like a breakfast sandwich.

     The little lads and lasses are back in school now. Every age group of students have to wear a uniform up until they go to University, so now the missionaries don't stand out as much in public anymore. One night this week Elder Barney freaked out and pointed at the sky yelling, "Look it's a fetching flying car!" And sure enough it was. Apparently the really posh (rich) people here have them haha. It was funny seeing the shape of a plane with the headlights of a car. On our last P Day we took an in-depth tour of the York Minster Cathedral. It was really cool and I took some pictures.

     About the whole singing on the bus story..... So I was sitting on a packed bus with Elder Barney one day and randomly Eye of the Tiger came to my head. Naturally I started humming it, then singing it. I embarrassingly didn't notice that I was getting progressively louder. Suddenly I got cut off by the lady sitting next to us and she said jokingly, "I'm going to have that stuck in my head all day now." The humming and singing turned into a conversation starter with her. She didn't have any interest in religion, but I thought that was a funny story.


     We are still teaching James and D. D is progressing and I can feel it. We've decided to re-teach him the basics that apply to him. We had a really spiritual lesson about prayer with him yesterday.  He's been on my mind a lot recently. James is doing well too. He played hooky going to church yesterday and went to a vintage car show instead. He's really solid, but I hope that he still remembers what we've taught him.  Some more really exciting news is that we have 2 potential investigators that I are really solid and that we can definitely teach soon. Their names are Sandra and Kevin. Sandra is a single middle aged lady with 4 massive dogs and Kevin is a 25 year old who plays way too many video games. I've been relating to him with Call of Duty Zombies haha!

     Life is good! We get transfer calls on Sunday, so I'll let you know if I stay in York. More and more members keep getting in town. If anyone has funny or stupid finding approaches that I could use to get a British person's attention just let me know. I'll keep you updated on this Elder's mission next week. Peace out!

-Elder Holyoak

  
Inside York Minster Cathedral



Flying Car




Traditional English Breakfast - Beans on Toast





No comments:

Post a Comment