Monday, September 5, 2016

Kingdom of York March North

How's it going chaps! 

This week has been a very busy one. We had our York Zone Conference, I learned how to solve a Rubik's cube (finally), there were a couple baptisms in our zone and we met a lot of funny ward members. 


It was cool getting to know more missionaries at Zone Conference and listening to President Turvey. Elder Zeck, from my MTC district, was there too! The main message of the conference was working with ward members, which I find really important. It's been hard getting a hold of members and less actives because people are still on holiday in England, so I've been doing a lot of finding lately. 


One team of sisters in our district had a baptism this week! She's an awesome middle aged lady named Sharyl. The sisters borrowed my guitar and played it at her baptism too. 


I'm excited to get our investigator, James, to that stage. James is a really humble and friendly man. He's 49 and he lives with his mum. He's scheduled to be baptized on October 8th! He's currently our sole investigator, but Elder Barney and I don't get discouraged. We're going to find more people to teach! 


There's a ward member that we see a couple times a week in a retirement home. His names Norman Wilkinson. He's a deaf man in his 90's and he's also the ward mission leader's dad. When we visit him, he's always watching the tele with the subtitles on and turns around enthusiastically and yells, "Helloooo!" The other people in the home complain sometimes because he's so loud when he's talking to us. We communicate with him by typing on an iPad and showing him. He's really "cheeky" as the English people say. He loves talking about his children and making fun of America. He talks a lot during quiet sacrament meetings too haha! I'll make sure to get a picture with him next week.


It's been a really good week and I'm definitely getting in the swing of things. Here are some Yorkshire words of the week : Brolly (Umbrella), Cling Film (Saran Wrap), Mince Beef (Ground Beef), Pram (Stroller) I'll make sure to give more later. I don't know who checks this blog, but I hope that life is good over there in Utah!  


Cheers! -Elder Holyoak




Holgate Windmill

Elder Zeck and I

York Zone - Zone Conference


 My ride

Elder Shäfer from Switzerland
(Video works better on a computer, than a phone.)



No comments:

Post a Comment