Monday, October 3, 2016

Another week in the blessed kingdom of York!

     Hey up mates! It's Elder Holyoak with another weekly update from York.  I'm not the youngest in the district anymore,  I'm learning how to cook from Chef Barney, and a big change to the England Leeds Mission is about to happen.
     
     The cold British fall is slowly creeping in over here. I've been pulling out my fleece jacket on some days and Elder Barney has already started talking about Christmas. He wants me to go out caroling with my guitar.  His mom bought me a guitar strap, so I might actually use that in the future as a finding approach. We'll see though. 

     We had our first district meeting this Wednesday with the new missionaries. I can't remember everyone's name at this point, but one of them that I've been talking to is Elder Campbell from Scotland.  He has the exact same hair color as Colin.  I'll get a picture with him later.  His trainee is Elder Hughes from Kentucky. They both have entirely different accents and it's pretty funny!

     Lately Elder Barney has been teaching me how to cook. Some of my experiences talking with other missionaries relating to cooking has been rubbish. Elder Barney, however, actually cooks food and doesn't just microwave frozen stuff. I've been trying to learn as much as I can before one of us gets transferred. He gave me his prosperity tie, which was handed down from his trainer. I'm gonna get him to sign my guitar too before I leave him. But for now, I have at least 5 more weeks with him and I'm going to make the most of it!

    Big news here in the England Leeds Mission. Daily missionary planners and all Area books are going completely digital on the iPad. We're making the transition this week and a lot of missionaries are complaining, because they like their paper planners. In my opinion this is a good idea, because everything will be backed up on the server and the iPad and papers will not get lost anymore. Also, the area book is connected to a GPS. That means every person with a teaching record will show up on the map. The only problem is that we need to type in every hand written record onto the iPad very tediously. But in the long run, I'm excited for this change.

     We are officially baptizing James on October 15th!! We had trouble scheduling his interview, but it's all set and I'm excited!! He's been speaking with his mum about it and we're really hoping that she'll come to his baptism. We weren't able to see D this week, but we're staying in contact with him. Donna has been sick, but she is still determined to meet with us and she phoned us saying, "Don't forget about me! Don't forget about me!" She is a really promising investigator. It's been difficult to get lessons in this week, but that's ok because we're still motivated to keep trying.

     General conference was really good!  It was fun being with the zone and the faithful members of our wards. It means a lot more watching conference as a missionary and I felt that a lot of the talks were directed to missionary work. In a couple weeks we'll get to hear from Russell M. Nelson in the York stake as well. Anyways, I'm loving it out here in the "walled city" they call York. Talk to you next week. Cheerio!

-Elder Holyoak

Learning to cook, Texas Style

Practicing my Christmas tunes

Our grocery store (like Target) and a Rainbow.

Not KFC, but MFC (My Favorite Chicken)

Who knew that Aidan was a Saint and had his own church?





No comments:

Post a Comment