Monday, October 10, 2016

October 10th York Update

     This week I had exchanges with a Scotsman, I saw a cool Medieval Knight Armour collection, and witnessed preparations for York Bon fire night.

     It's been another speedy week here in York. Time is flying by so fast! On Tuesday, I went on exchanges with the new Harrogate Elders in our mission. I was with Elder Campbell for the day. He's from Dundee, Scotland. I had a blast with that short ginger lad, haha. It was cool because he trained in the York area.  He said that it was a really nostalgic day for him seeing all of the ward members and places that he started his mission with. I taught our investigator D with him too. We're giving D a chapel tour this fortnight (within the next 14 days). We also taught the Hickton's and we saw Sister Hickton's dad the day before he peacefully passed away.

     It's been a difficult week for the York 1 ward. Two people have passed away and a 90 year old lady is having hip surgery. We had a really humbling day Sunday. I could feel the spirit a lot as people bore their testimonies during church. Next week, I have to speak in church on gratitude. Elder Barney said sarcastically, "You should just be so grateful that you have a chance to speak." This actually will be good for me, since I need to work on my public speaking anyways.

     The iPad Area book planner app hasn't come out yet and it's funny because the mission is completely out of the paper planners. The missionaries have had to plan their days on pieces of papers. The app better come out soon! 

     One day this week, while we were knocking doors, a man answered the door with a bunch medieval stuff behind him. He let us in and gave us a tour of his collection. It was pretty awesome and I took pictures.

     Also, there's a celebration coming up called York Maze Bon Fire Night. It is in honor of Guy Fawkes and will be on November 5. Fireworks are being loaded up in all of the stores getting ready for this big celebration.  It has been very hard to avoid talking about politics during this election season. Trump's face is on all of the newspapers and I don't even wanna get caught up in all this rubbish political drama.  

     Later this Monday, we have a lesson with Donna. I'm going on exchanges with Elder Davies from the South of England after sport P day, so wish us luck with her.  James' baptism was moved back another week, but we're still working with him closely. October is going to be a busy month of exciting things and I'll keep you guys updated on it. I've been hearing a lot about crazy people dressing up as clowns going door to door scaring people. Hopefully it doesn't effect our door knocking. 

Thanks for all of your support! Cheers!
-Elder Holyoak


Sightseeing in York

Elder Campbell and Peter

Medieval Armour discovered while door knocking

Delicious "low fat" dinner

The cake we baked for Sister Hickton to help cheer her up.

Custard Cremes - The Oreos of England












No comments:

Post a Comment