Monday, January 8, 2018

American Food in Wakefield

Hey peeps! Here's my update from Shakey Wakey, I mean Wakefield. My first week here has been full of Zone Conference, American food with a familiar face, and a family at church.
     
This week has been full of so many new things: a new companion, a new area and a new flat! Wakefield is a pretty nice city. Being back down in Yorkshire, reminds me of the start of my mission when I served in York.  People's accents here are a bit different though. It was really strange not hearing the Geordie accent anymore the first couple of days. The accents here are more of a mix between a Yorkshire accent and a Manchester accent. 
     
We had Zone Conference this week and I was able to see loads of familiar faces that I haven't seen in a while, because I was serving in the North part of the Mission.  It was a very motivating meeting to be a part of and I'm stoked on coconuts for 2018!
     
A funny experience happened this week. We were heading off to a tea appointment and Elder Selk was telling me how one of the members loves Utah and bought a lot of his clothes at South Town mall.  I know small world, but it doesn't stop there! That rang a bell.... I was like, hold on, I remember last summer when I was in Bridlington knocking doors and a man pulled over and told me that same thing. And sure enough, it was the same guy.... haha! It was hilarious explaining it to him because he remembered. He fed us some amazing bacon burgers that tasted pretty American. He also provided Ranch and fry sauce that I haven't had in ages!! It was a good time and I'm proud to be an American.... haha.
     
At church this Sunday, we were able to see a woman named Helen and her 2 kids come to church. Elder Selk told me that they came last week, and now they came again! That was a really cool miracle. Overall, it was a canny week in the kingdom and I can tell that it's gonna be a good one this transfer. Have a good Juan, cheers!

-Elder Holyoak


Elder Shaffer


Ping Pong in the new flat


No comments:

Post a Comment