Monday, June 4, 2018

American Summer kickoff and Transfers!

Ey up family and friends! This is gonna be a juicy update so buckle up. Transfer calls came, we went on some more exchanges, I got treated at Sister Thompson's again, we witnessed a Turkish baptism, and we had an American Summer kickoff!!
     
So, first off transfers calls came once again. I had no idea what to expect this time, but I am leaving! I moving to a little city called Worksop near Sheffield. I'm gutted to leave Newcastle and the Geordies, but I'm excited for the last stretch of this big adventure! I'm also getting reassigned to be a normal missionary, which means more time to do missionary work.... Woo! I'm super excited. My new companion is going to be Elder Lagisma from the Philippines. I love Filipino people. They're well nice. Elder Kearl is surprisingly getting transferred too. He's moving down to Huddersfield, right next to Wakey where I was living. In our mission we are getting 3 more stakes from the centre of England, Nottingham, Norwich and Leicester stakes next transfer. So there are lots of changes all around the mission. 
     
For this week's update I went on an exchange with Elder Edwards. We had a blast. Loads of finding and funny experiences. We were knocking at one point and found a Polish family. I learned how to say "How are you?" and "What is your name?" in Polish, so naturally that's what I asked. Then we got let in and taught them! We had a really good lesson with them, but unfortunately a day later we got a negative Facebook message from them telling us they weren't interested anymore. It was a really cool experience though.
     
For my exchange with Elder Gray, we did some finding in Walker on a the hottest and humid day of the year so far. We did a baptismal interview over in North Shields and of course we had to make a pit stop at the one and only Sister Thompson's home. She made us nice food and a birthday cake for me just a couple day after my birthday. Bless her! 
     
On Friday and Saturday, we had 2 big highlights for the week. A Turkish lady who was taught by the Newcastle sisters had her baptism and we had our ward party. The Turkish lady speaks very little English, so they actually Skyped in the Turkish speaking Elders who helped in the teaching process. These Elder initially were serving in the country of Turkey, but got reassigned to Germany as the mission in Turkey was closed because of government issues. They helped translate the entire baptismal service. There was such a sweet Spirit there. She said the entire time, "Thank you so much," and "I feel happy!" This gospel really is meant for everyone, we really all came from the same place and are brothers and sisters!
     
On Saturday was the ward activity and it was called, "The American Summer Kickoff!" It included many American originating games like Ultimate frisbee, Kickball, and Spikeball. We educated them on them on how to play all of those games that they've never heard of. It was a really cool mix of cultures. The members organized a series of minute to win in games and an American quiz, which I was rubbish at.... haha! I've never seen such a good turn out and an event run so smoothly that I've helped organize. It was a real success on building relationships, trust and excitement for missionary work with members, which I think every missionary craves in whatever unit they are serving in around the world. Loads of members brought their friends as well! Some new YSA aged friends came and will hopefully come to Institute with the new Elders in the area.
     
Aye it's been a propa canny week like. Ne more hearin them Geordies sayin, "Ha way man I divent want your boook! I'm gonin doon tun Worksop man, where they divint soond like this man." 

Translation: "Yes It's been another really good week. No more hearing the Geordie saying, C'mon man I'm not interested, I don't want your book! I'm going down to Worksop where they don't sound like this."
    
I'm proper excited for the future! Have a good week cheers!

-Elder Holyoak

Dinner at Sister Thompson's




No comments:

Post a Comment