Monday, August 22, 2016

First area......York

How's it going chaps! 

I'm in my first area, York, with my trainer Elder Barney from Houston, Texas. He's a funny redneck! He's been out here for 18 months so he's been showing me the ropes. My address is 5 St. Pauls Court Yarburgh Grove York YO264TP England. I would love it if you sent me a letter! Sorry for the two week gap of no contact with anyone. My P Day is on Mondays from now on. 


Last Tuesday, all of the 26 missionaries going to the Leeds mission took a coach from the MTC to a chapel in Leeds to meet up with our trainers. At the time, I was really nervous. Once I was assigned to Elder Barney in York, we went to a crazy busy train station to get here. It's been an interesting week so far haha. I've been working on a lot of creative ways to approach people without sounding like a salesman. We've been doing a lot of knocking, street contacting, and bus contacting.


Horse races are huge in York and there's been one going on in our area this week. It's not effective to talk to the race goers because they're usually drunk. There are so many pubs in this city and drinking is a big problem here. The ward members I've met are awesome! A lot of them are gone for vacation, but I've been able to meet a quite a few of them through member lessons and going over for dinner.  


It was a little overwhelming not knowing anyone at all, but I'm getting most everyone's names down and introducing myself. A lot of the British people, outside of the ward, don't know where Utah is so I just say that I'm from the Rocky Mountains of America. I think that sounds cooler. I just bought a guitar today on P Day! It's a small travel guitar that I'm gonna get all of my mission friends to sign. 


It's been a really busy week and I wish that I could've taken more pictures. Life is really good right now! This city is amazing and packed with history. Elder Barney and I have a baptism in a couple weeks from an investigator that the previous set of missionaries were teaching and I'm super excited!! I'll make sure to keep you updated on that. 


-Elder Holyoak



Elder Barney and I in front of York Minster Cathedral

York Minster Cathedral

The Breakfast of Champions


No comments:

Post a Comment